Wednesday, June 30, 2010

SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2 AND A WHOLE LOTTA WORLD CUP ACTION!!

These guys thought I was so cool, read on to find out why?
So I know it has been a very very very long time since I have written in this blog. But I figured that since something so memorable happened last night I had to write about it.

As you all know, I am in Hiroshima. I have officially been here for a week and I have to say what most of you already knew before it even happened (you dog on psychics you), I LOVE THIS PLACE!! I live a bit on the outskirts of the city. Only about a 15 minute cab ride, or about a 25 minute train/tram ride. It is fricking fantastic!!!

Anyway. I am not a big fan of soccer. It's not that I don't have respect for the sport, it's just not my cup of green tea. But last night will forever be etched in my memory. My new co-worker, Tim, is a huge soccer fan. He is from South Carolina. Very funny dude. He asked me if I wanted to go downtown to watch Japan vs. Paraguay. I wasn't up for it three days before he asked me, but the day of I decided what the heck. On the way to the bar that was showing the game it hit me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am in Japan, during the World Cup and Japan is in the final 16. I may not be in Japan in four years, and even if I am, there is no guarantee that they will be back. So I am getting extremely excited.

As I get to the bar, there are already a fair amount of people present. More and more people begin to squeeze into a bar that can safely hold about 75, maybe less, and yet there had to be well over 100 people crammed into that place. Before the game I just decide to start yelling, because hey, it's World Cup and I'm the only black foreigner there, so I'm standing out easily. I just stand up on my bar stool a bit and yell "YEAHHHH!!!" and people look at me, and slowly everything just starts yelling, "YEAHHHH!!!" By the end of the game, every time ANYONE would yell something, EVERYONE in the bar was looking toward me. Fantastic times.

After everything was said and done, Japan lost after overtime due to place kicks. I have never been a part of something that massive before. The entire COUNTRY, not just fans in a bar rooting for a football team, or a basketball, or baseball team; but fans from the entire COUNTRY are pulling for their team, their pride, their place of origin like nothing I've ever experienced or witnessed before in my life. I have to say it was probably the single greatest moments in sports that I have ever been a part of, and yes, I love that the Packers won Super Bowl 31 and that my dad got to be a part of that and that I was there, but to be in a NATION that is pulling for the same team that hardcore...you could feel it in the air when something great happened and the loss itself was devastating, even to me, a non-soccer fan.

I have my Wii and my PS3 and my TV back that I bought here in Japan, and Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Street Fighter IV are wonderful. New Super Mario Brothers is fantastic and Tim likes to come play with me. And I still have 2 more games I haven't opened that I bought from the States for these two systems.

Life is grand, no complaints, work is WONDERFUL my co-workers are awesome, and the feeling I am getting is amazing. All of you thought I was joyful and content last year? Pssstt..here's a secret...it's gonna be better than that!!

Have a good one!!

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear good things friend! It was beyond wonderful seeing you!

    ReplyDelete